Monday, March 28, 2011

Hard Working Sisters!


The Martin Family
The Week we HAD The MARTIN'S BAPTIZED!
This week especially spiritual. We were not prepared to be so filled with the spirit. Sister Corbridge and I have been experiencing some changes in our teaching. For example, when we teach a family or a couple of some sort and they are at different levels of spirituality, we tend to split up and teach each separately in the same home. It naturally happens. We were teaching new investigators that were member referrals. As soon as we were sharing our testimonies we noticed the Husband was not going to let us get anywhere with what we wanted to share. So he and I connected and I started talking to him, and sister Corbridge moved away from me and closer to the wife and talked to her. I ended up kneeling next to the husband and teaching him to his needs and what he needed to know so that he would read the Book of Mormon. Sister Corbridge explained to me that her little lesson with the wife was very much like she was in heaven. She was able to bring the Spirit to a higher level, and prepared the wife to come to church and read the Book of Mormon and trust us more. I was surprised afterwards that even though we don't teach like that most of the time, it worked then. And they are solid at keeping their commitments.
We are also using the technique we learned in District Meeting in our Member Lessons. We are finding out what they need to do then what they need to feel, then what they need to know. We recap, then commit, then ask them to pray and ask God to help them with this commitment we just extended. We sit in silence and let them write down some thoughts that might come up and Thank them a lot for allowing us to have a spiritual experience with them. Oh man, it feels so good afterwards.
The fireside was extra special. Maybe because the Recent converts were all taught by Sisters!!!!! I have a new appreciation for the leaders of the church reminding me that I mean something to my recent converts even after I leave the area. I need to make sure that I remember that I stay focused. I was impressed the first speaker had the ability to be the comedy relief for the night. I was then surprised at what Tony Gentile and Nick said. Nick said the two words that describes our lessons with him were, AWESOME and WONDERFUL! Tony said that treats and women were his weak points. So I guess it was good that they sent sister missionaries when they did so that we could teach him. But I have to be honest, Sister Corbridge and I both blushed when he said that, embarrassed probably.
They both are planning on being ordained with the Priesthood next Sunday or the Sunday after. Temple is their next goal and I am so overwhelmed with emotions when I think about the Opportunity to see that this is for real. It was also special to have Jenni, my sister, to be their to see what I get to experience here while on my mission. I also want to tell you how much Elder Hudsaker and his wife really touch my heart when they talk to me. Like I am their own granddaughter. He cried when he told me how much he loved my singing. He said the whole song was good but the last note was the ringer for him. They make me feel like I already have known them for a sometime.
Man I am crying already.!!!!!
The baptism was beautiful. I was able to sing with Veronica who got baptized. And I was able to see a husband embrace his wife knowing that this is a beginning to take the step to be together forever. Hope and Love that filled the room was so thick.
The ward was touched the next Sunday when she was asked by President Lance to share her testimony. Both Sister Corbridge and I held our breath while she slowly and very shaky gets up there. She did great. She hates speaking in front of people. But the ward was touched and is getting stronger I think. All of the members are amazed at what has happened over the last couple of months.
Sterling Heights Stake President and the Martin Family

Because of the many miracles I always assumed this was a common thing to baptize three people and confirm them the next day. Then another family in a couple of
weeks and then another one after that. It has happened so frequently while I have been here I have been expecting these Baptisms to happen more often. I wonder what will happen as I grow more in my Faith in the Work and what God has in store. I really want to kill Sister Corbridge off (this means be her last companion before she goes home) Her last transfer the next one, and it would be the greatest thing ever. We have been through so much and I have seen the effect of our faith. I would just like to see her through her last moments of pure Joy in the Work. I am going to stop talking about this cause I get emotional every time.
I love her so much and sometimes even though we can't stand each other sometimes it can't change how we have come through for each other. If I ever had such a companion God sent me the best to improve my faith and my teaching skills. I know I still have a lot to learn.
I know that this is what God wanted, and I know that the Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost is the foundation of our lessons. Jesus is our focus when we teach together. The Holy Ghost is that third companion and with out him we don't speak. We have gained an enlightening in our hearts and mind when we teach by the Spirit. With the spirit it is possible to finish strong!
Love,
Sister Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment