Monday, April 4, 2011

Conference Weekend

Well, well, you were on the computer early today. 5 in the morning is even early for me. I had the chance to see all the sessions. 1st was at sister pix home. She is the crazy lady from Germany who says what she wants how she wants and you can always end on a good note with her if you give her a really big hug. Haha! Which you know I am really good at. 2nd session was at a members home that is full of some less-active members. They were so nice to let us come and watch with them. We hope that their daughter's friend Emily will be available soon to come over to their home so we can continue to teach her. 4th session was with investigator Peggy Alan who is ready to be baptized but needs to quit smoking and pay her debts. Those two are correlated. She is pretty much Mormon but dry! 5th session was with another investigator Kelly . She was surprised how good it was. She has a Mormon husband that is not active. She has come to church once and a baptism. I hope her continual reading from the scriptures and her prayers will lead her to the goal we try to commit her to every time we see her. Haha.. not every time but it's close. She fed us dinner afterwards. Her step daughter and two friends also ate with us. Meat loaf with bacon and pizza sauce on top. YUM YUM!!!!! Potatoes and rolls with cinnamon butter. It was a nice to get to know the girls and to let Kelly see how we are with others that are not members. We brought up God and our divine nature and individual worth. These girls were seniors so we really had to lower ourselves down to their level of "girly-ness"!!! They were shocked we actually were talking about spiritual things at the table but, man it brought me right back home when I would eat with the family and those subjects never seemed weird or foreign. such is life as a Mormon. We didn't gain them as investigators, which was probably doable if we really had faith in the Spirit, but if we see them again there is nothing stopping us. We asked for forgiveness from God and for a second chance...as humble as possible.

So conference weekend was great. I have never felt it go by so fast. It was a nice reboot and gave me a more motivation to have faith in the Lord. I have been studying faith and the power that can come from unshaken faith. The President feels that it is important for me to focus on this subject. Great things and miracles come from exercising faith. I have the desire, I have the hope, and I am working min by min on the charity. SO next my faith will be continually tested and it's my duty to be obedient to the promptings of the Spirit.
We received a new investigator this week. It happened to be a son of a recent convert of last year. Sister Holmes and her daughter were baptized. Sister Holmes was confirmed in the Northshores ward but her daughter never was. I don't know why they never did, but they are in our area and so we are now going to teach them. We visited them last week. And her son came up from the basement to see what the noise was coming from. I chose to sing the 158 hymn and he stayed to listen as was his sister and Sister Holmes. I got his number and picture in the phone"YEAH!!" He is 17 and I think has a pretty good social life. Anyways we got him to commit to stay in the next lesson if we brought him a steak or candy bar. Our hope is to have the daughter Stephanie and son members by the beginning of May! Sister Holmes is such a big support. I am excited to see how the Lord will direct us to teach them to their needs.
So since I have a brother that is going to be 17, I hope he will give me some insights on how to teach this 17 year old here. The family is also black, which finally I get a chance to bring a black family to the gospel and true church. I have been waiting patiently, cause I know it is a silly request. BUT HALLELUJAH!
Our goals this week is to put more people on date. Pray that we will meet our goal!
Sister Corbridges birthday was last Thursday. We planned a surprise a dinner for her. The dinner was at Sister Sololowskies place. We invited all the recent converts. All seven of them. Three of them came. Sister Martin and Veronica, and Brother Ray. The surprise wasn't the dinner but who was in attendance. Sister Corbridge said, "I have never felt the spirit so strong at a birthday party." We even kept to the rules. We left with a message and still made it an hour and a half. I was so happy to see her get all emotional from the Martins letter. And I sang the primary song, "We Will Bring the World it's Truth." She got all emotional! I am glad it all worked out. Let me tell you...it is very hard to keep secrets from your companion. Especially when you share a phone and always in hearing distance. But with the help of the ward missionaries it was possible.
We have some potential investigators, one that just got out of jail. So I hope all is well, and that he is open and ready to allow the Lord to heal him, and his heart. He seems pretty humble, I don't know actually how to teach someone that just came out of jail, but Sister Corbridges brother went through the jail stuff, so hopefully if we stay together we might have a chance I seeing him enter the waters of baptism also in May.
She has two months left. My wish is to see her last moments of her mission come out strong with perfect obedience. I pray for her every day not to get trunky. She is working really hard on that. I love her and love God for sending me her.
Until next week, FINISH STRONG!

Love,
Sister Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment